Joske van Koelen will compete at the FEI World Vaulting Female Championships for the Netherlands. Get to know her in our mini interview!
1. Please describe yourself in three words.
2. Who are your team members?
Trainer: Diede Pierik, Lunger: Rian Pierik, Horse: Chameur (Champie), team mate: Sam dos Santos, rider & horse physical therapist: Emma Garenfeld, Groom: Emy dos Santos, ‘team mom’ and biggest support: Anne-Marie Kamp
3. How did you experience the qualification process? What were your challenges on the way to the Championships?
The season started off very well from the beginning. I could show a big improvement compared to last year. I’m vaulting with a different horse this year. Champie gives me a lot of trust and we have a good connection. This works really well for me. The hardest challenge this year was going to the CVI in Slovakia all by myself and competing on a strange horse with a strange team. But it was a very valuable experience.
4. What was your best (or funniest) vaulting moment?
My tech test in Aachen was a memorable one. When we ran in and while greeting the judge my lunger realized she still had her sunglasses on her blouse. And when we ran out, it apparently rained so hard that the arena was flooding and the horse had to go out through the water and I went over the audience😅.
5. What do you expect from the World Championships 2022? What are your goals?
My goal is to show myself as good as possible. To show my own style and be able to get the feeling of the music and performance to the audience. I feel very excited and honored to be able to compete in such a big competition for the first time.
6. What’s your freestyle theme 2022 and why?
It’s not a specific theme but I wanted to create a freestyle that was flowy, powerful and expresses the music.
7. Any news or announcements for the Vaulting World?
This is my first world championship and I’m very excited to get this chance and keep improving to be better again next year.